Re: Your Spitfire

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Your Spitfire
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 20:46:06 +0100
>Hey Dave over there in the UK;
>
>I just saw your nice Spitfire on your web page but there is one thing that
>couldn't help but notice:  DO YOU REALIZE THAT YOUR SPITFIRE WAS BUILT WITH
>THE STEERING WHEEL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CAR???  :)  It must be kind of
>awkward to drive by reaching over to the passengers side of the car to
steer
>it!!! :)

Ah, but Dave's is THE REAL MCCOY. Remember all the REAL Spitfires were built
with the steering wheel on the right. It was only a gesture towards
customers who don't wear their swords on the left that quite a large number
of imitations were built the other way around. In any case, I've still got a
weakness in my right knee from driving Spitfires and others of that ilk
where the accelerator was too damned close to the seat and the better part
of five acres for your left foot with no footrest. Like riding a horse with
the stirrups at different heights.

Oh well, I suppose we gave most of the world our language - perhaps it is a
bit too much to expect it to observe the same rules of the road. <G> In any
case, what's wrong with being different??????????

Jonmac