Re: GT6 engine in a spit

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: GT6 engine in a spit
From: Chris <spitfire@cyber-west.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:15:36 -0600
Patrick;

See my post on the 3.8, I have such a beast.  It is ALOT of work to make this
fit in a Spitfire.  Not just the engine, but the Transmission,  and driveshaft
are a real stuff job.  My car had one in it and they had cut some frame out to
make the transmission fit.  The exhaust is a real challenge and I don't know how
I will get mine replaced once it rusts ( dual all the way back).  I certainly am
not trying to discourage your idea, but the 2.8 will probally fit better and
give plenty of power.  I could get around 140 hp easy out of my old 2.8 Ford V6
and that is almost double a stock Spit.  Plus any more than that and you will
start breaking rear-ends and axles.

The cost of the conversion will be much higher than just the motor, you will
need to have custom exhaust, welding, a special radiator, shorten the
driveshaft, and plan on spending alot of time to get it to fit right.  For all
this time if you have decent car already, I would rebuild the motor, get dual
webers, maybe even a radical cam, headers, free flow exhaust, and you will then
turn more heads and have just as much fun driving it.  My olther car ( stock...
kinda ) has this treatment and it is a blast to drive, it is at least as fast as
a Miata and the sound alone makes it more fun.

Well, enough of my opinions... do what makes you happy !

Chris