Re: Installation of dual SU's

To: Michael Thomas <mathomas@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Installation of dual SU's
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 05:41:11
Mike, Here is what I know.

Spits never used PCV valves, the original plumbing was a hose coming off
the rocker cover that T'd off and one part went to the charcoal canister,
the other directly into the carb.  Believe it or not all you need to do is
run a line straight from the rocker cover to the carb (forget about the
canister, even if it was still good, you don't have the rest of the
equipment for emissions)

>Now, PCV hookups:  From the rocker cover, a 5/8" hose originally went
>directly to the Stromberg carb into what looked like a PCV valve
>integrated into the carburetor.  I _think_ that there is a y-adaptor
>that converts this to 5/16" hose that feeds into fittings on the
>carburetor immediately after the dashpot.  I am guessing that I should
>also seal the NPT fitting on the top of the manifold that probably goes
>to some emissions thing that I don't have.  Does this make sense?
>
>So, big question of the e-mail:  Do I need an inline PCV valve?  As far
>as I can tell, the line from the rocker cover goes directly to the
>intake airflow with no check valve whatsoever.  Also to note, there is a
>bunch of stuff under the hood (charcoal cannister, anti-run-on valve)
>that is not hooked up.  Will this be of any advantage to me for this
>installation (at least, until I have to get the emissions checked)? Or,
>just go with the PCV valve from a suitable GM product (any
>suggestions?).

I don't know what emissions are like for Canada, or if they are even
required, but I would deep six the charcoal canisters and the anti-run on
valve, the only catch is that there are a couple of vent lines that run
back to the fuel tank.  You will want to remove these back to the tank, but
You need to come up with a way for the Tank to vent (short line with a
check valve maybe?) otherwise you will produce a suction in your fuel tank
and starve your engine.

Hope I helped.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire that is quickly loosing anything related to emmissions
equipment