Installation of dual SU's

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Installation of dual SU's
From: Michael Thomas <mathomas@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:20:37 -0400
After finally getting my rear suspension to tolerable degrees of camber,
my current project is the installation of a set of dual carburetors that
I picked up with my '75 Spit.  I have a few questions concerning the
plumbing of them as I install them into my car.  Currently, there is a
single Stromberg carburetor with a set of headers and no emission stuff
whatsoever.

I believe they are HS4's -- the float chamber is integrated into the
carb itself (underneath), as opposed to the chamber being off to the
side as with HS2's.  Is this a correct assumption?  I have nothing in
any of my manuals of anything other than the Stromberg and the HS2
carbs, and I may have to order parts (due to a gas leak which I am
currently trying to seal).

So -- with regards to the plumbing:  I have an electric fuel pump, and
the fuel lines into the carb are already hooked up.  It appears that
there are return lines to the gas tank off of the sides of the carbs
approximately 1" above the fuel inlets.  I am assuming that a fuel line
(currently un-used) that comes up past the battery is the return line to
the gas tank.  Does this sound right so far?

Now, PCV hookups:  From the rocker cover, a 5/8" hose originally went
directly to the Stromberg carb into what looked like a PCV valve
integrated into the carburetor.  I _think_ that there is a y-adaptor
that converts this to 5/16" hose that feeds into fittings on the
carburetor immediately after the dashpot.  I am guessing that I should
also seal the NPT fitting on the top of the manifold that probably goes
to some emissions thing that I don't have.  Does this make sense?

So, big question of the e-mail:  Do I need an inline PCV valve?  As far
as I can tell, the line from the rocker cover goes directly to the
intake airflow with no check valve whatsoever.  Also to note, there is a
bunch of stuff under the hood (charcoal cannister, anti-run-on valve)
that is not hooked up.  Will this be of any advantage to me for this
installation (at least, until I have to get the emissions checked)? Or,
just go with the PCV valve from a suitable GM product (any
suggestions?).

Thanks for the help, and I apologize to anyone who read this far for the
lengthy message!
At least I have something to do on Canada Day!!!

Mike Thomas
'75 Spit 1500
Cambridge, Ontario