what happened to my clutch?

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: what happened to my clutch?
From: Stig Nikolaj Fasmer Blomberg <blomberg@get2net.dk>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:50:24 +0200
This other day I was out driving my spifire 1500 (1976), and suddenly after
a full stop, I couldn't get into first gear, and the remaining gears was
hard to get into. Later on (about 5 minutes), it became possible to reach
first gear again, but now the clutch was very hard, to depress - this in
every gear.

So now I'm in the situation, that I can reach all gears, even though it
takes a firm hand on the gearshift, and i can depress the clutch, even
though this requires force.

I tried looking in my haynes manual, but the three pages here on clutches
isn't very informative to me, so now I turn to you guys for help before i
drive to my mechanic and bleed bucks.

TIA

Nick, Denmark