overheating

To: "'spitfires@Autox.Team.Net'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: overheating
From: "Dr T. Dafforn" <td214@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 14:07:57 +0100 (BST)
My guess is that after 20 odd years of use both sensor and guage are
pretty inaccurate... (have you ever noticed the amount of scale arround
the sensor when you change the thermostat)
So I guess there are three courses of action:

                1) use the sight of the car sprouting steam as an
                indication of the car running too hot..
                2) replace the guage and sender unit...
                3) use a thermometer to calibrate the old set up..
I'm probably going to go for the third option as I don't like my car
looking like a steam engine and I don't have the money for the new stuff..

                        Cheers
                                Tim