mgs

Re: pulling out the spacers in the front hubs

To: karl.shultz@ibm.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pulling out the spacers in the front hubs
From: Mgbbob@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 08:40:58 EST
Hi Karl,
He DOES have a point.
My 60 TR3A doesn't have a long spacer between the inner races of the tapered
roller (Timken) bearings.......BUT my 66 'B' does.....go figure.
If the notion evolved that they weren't needed, I would think that the 'B'
wouldn't have them either.
I guess it all depends on how the bearings are loaded. Theoretically, the
bearings should be loaded to 10-15 in lb of torque, then fixed with the
castellated nut and cotter pin.
The Moss guide suggests that you tighten the hub until you drive out all the
end clearance while still being able to rotate it freely. This exercise is
very subjective as the feel is different for everyone.
British Leyland must have wanted to remove this subjectivity when loading the
bearings.
Are the spacers needed? IMHO, they can't hurt. There's nothing to keep the
inner races from flexing and squirming during hard cornering......the spacers
do that.

Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB GHN 3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398 L