mgs

RE: Easy Questions

To: "Gary Davis" <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>,
Subject: RE: Easy Questions
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 98 18:50:28 UT
Gary,

1. Group 26 Battery (Group 26 is a battery size - go figure).  K Mart usually
has them for about $40, but you can get them just about anywhere.  Buy the
highest cold cranking amp you can afford with the longest warranty (as an
aside, Parts America has a group 26 battery on sale for $33).  Word to the
wise - get a battery with a handle - reason will become apparent.
2. Recommend getting the vinyl battery bin box (e.g., VB Catalog #10-340 at
$32.95) - if you don't know who VB is or other vendors to get parts just ask
on the this list - you'll get some good deals here.
3. Go to the local parts store and get battery connectors (just like the ones
that you have now - just newer)  and pads (go on the bottom of the terminals)
4. While at the parts store pick up a GROUND battery cable - 12" length is
enough - should be black and have a flat end with hole - other end may or may
not have terminal connector.
5. Take out the 2 - 6V batteries behind the seats
6. In the battery compartment behind the PASSENGER seat you will see two
cables.  One goes to the other battery compartment.  Take this out, it is no
longer needed (or leave it in if it's not in the way).  The other cable will
eventually be hooked up to the (+) positive terminal of the group 26 battery.
<Recommended> - take off the battery connector on this cable and toss, clean
the exposed copper wire with wire brush and install new terminal connector.
DO NOT CUT THIS CABLE even an inch unless you plan to install a whole new
cable as IT IS JUST THE RIGHT LENGTH.
7. In the other battery compartment, the ground cable is bolted to the car
body at the back of the battery compartment - disconnect this and toss it (or
leave it in if you want).  But look at it because you are going to install the
new ground battery cable you purchased in the other compartment in a similar
manner.  You may need to drill a hole in the other compartment to attach the
cable (although there may already be a hole there that you can use).  BTW,
sand/wire brush the area around the hole (back and front) to make sure you get
good electrical contact.
8. DRY RUN - If you purchased the vinyl battery bin box put it in and note
where you will need to make the cutouts to pass the battery cables through.  I
usually make a 3 sided cut leaving bottom attached - the cutout is generally
very close to the top of the box - I'm no genius, so use your own common
sense.  Make the cutouts and put the bin box in the battery compartment.
9. Pass the POS and NEG battery cables through the cutout openings and pull
them up and hopefully beyond the perimeter of the battery box.
10. Lift the new Group 26 battery (hopefully with a handle) into the battery
compartment - it's a tight fit - if you are having a real tough time remove
the terminal connections from the cables.  In any event you'll likely fiddle
with it some.  Oh, make sure the POS terminal is towards the front and the NEG
is towards the back otherwise you'll feel kinda stupid when you have to pull
the battery back out.
11. Put the terminal pads on the terminals and attach the connectors.  That
should be it.
12. If the battery seems run down when you try to start the car charge it
(although they usually come fully charged).  If that problem persists then #1
suspect is your installation of ground cable - insufficient ground = Dull
Battery.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out ... BTW, IMHO the new batteries are
great improvements over the old lead acid twin 6 volts.

BTW - fuse box - depending on its condition and your $$ situation consider
getting a new one.  Otherwise clean with fine steel wool (all connections).

Regards and congratulations on your purchase,

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst
69 C GT
69 B Rdst