mgs

Re: Painting Wire Wheels

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting Wire Wheels
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 19:02:38 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-01-18 13:56:26 EST, thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J
Pokrefke) writes:

<< The time has come to paint the wire wheels on my 1970 MGB (again).
 Currently, I am forced with painting the wheels every 6 months.  The
 problem lies in the road grime/brake dust taking the shine off the paint.

SNIP

  Nothing lasts.

Thomas,

Your right, nothing lasts.

I painted mine with a spray can two or three times over as many years then, I
took them and got them sand blasted. I then epoxy primed, painted (with the
proper silver) and then clear coated them. They were striking!  A year later
they didn't look new anymore. Also, painted wires don't let you adjust the
spokes without either chipping the paint or the paint won't let you turn the
nipples at all. I gave in and bought a set of chrome wires three years ago.
It is nearly a permanent fix. Not original but, very nice looking. Got them
from Moss.

If I were to try anything else before going to chrome, I'd try powder
coating. You might want to look into this.

By the way, if you paint them another color, I believe you'll be able to see
any new chips badly since you really can't really sand them properly before
spraying.

Good Luck!

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon