RE: Air filter

To: "MG V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air filter
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@marketvalue.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:42:35 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Thanks, Jim, you are right.  It came up because I was talking to 'my
expert" about doing a dynometer tune.  He has always been considered to
be a real carb Guru around here and last year he purchased a very nice
dyno.  My car is pretty much 'sorted' as far as the carburetor goes but
I thought it would make sense to go all the way and find out exactly
what is going on.  He will be able to run it at various speeds and set
the carb based on actually HP and emissions testing.

So anyway, he did mention the air cleaner issue.  He suggested that even
a 10" or smaller with more height might be better.

Another thing he mentioned (because of my questioning).  My car is
harder to start after sitting in the heat, say, 20 minutes after
shutdown.  I've always suspected it is the fuel is expanding (and
boiling and vaporizing) because of the heat, causing the car to flood.
His pretty much agreed with this, his comment was lengthy, but here are
the highlights.  1) move to sea level (more atmospheric pressure) 2) use
an insulator between the manifold and carb 3) use the middle grade fuel
(has less alcohol and/or MTBE than regular or premium)  3) add a lead
additive (density of fuel goes up) 4) add kerosene or #1 diesel (same as
#3).  He would of course check float levels, etc to eliminate those type
things as the culprit but really was saying that's typical of a
carbureted engine, with modern fuel, at 5000 feet, in the summer.

I'll keep ya posted!

Larry