Re: Starter Wiring

To: brucemills@dccnet.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter Wiring
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:28:15 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/9/2001 6:22:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brucemills@dccnet.com writes:

> I have purchased a Weber Mini Hy Tork starter for my Rover V8 and the wiring
> is slightly different than the original MGB starter. There is no problem
> hooking up the main wires (brown) from the battery which in turns goes to
> the alternator. There is also no problem with the Green/white wire which
> goes to the ign. But there is a Brown/White wire which as far as I can
> figure out also goes to the alternator. The problem is on the new starter
> there is only one male fitting. Does this B/W wire have to be hooked up, and
> if I don't hook it up what will it affect, or can I just hook in up to the

Bruce,

What year is your MG?

The green/white wire is for the ballast resistor bypass, and your starter
doesn't have a provision for this function. The Brown/white wire is from the
starter relay. Without this wire connected, the starter won't work.  Connect
the brown/white wire where you now have the green/white wire. If you connect
both wires to the same terminal, the starter won't shut off (it will be
getting 6 volts whenever the key is on if you still have your ballast - a
constant 12 volts if you don't).

Are you retaining the ballast resistor? What type of ignition coil are you
using? Let me know, and I'll tell you what to do with the green/white wire.
In the meantime, check out issue III, volume 2 of the newsletter. I wrote an
article on this subject for that issue.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
http://members.aol.com/danmas/
MGBV8 Newsletter:
http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm