Re: transmission tunnel prep question.

To: "Mike Cousins" <mikecousins1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: transmission tunnel prep question.
From: "Frank van Dalen" <frank.vandalen@fae.storkgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:17:51 +0200
Cc: "mgb-v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I welded in the new box piece, and if you make that of the same gauge as the
tunnel and weld it in properly, there's no way it will reduce the strength
or stiffness. I'd say stiffness is much more critical than strength, so even
if you did a lousy welding job it would still be OK. Creating the same
amount of space with a sledge hammer probably requires hitting it so hard
the whole car lifts off the ground! I know of someone who used spacers on
the gearbox cross-member to drop the box, this apparently worked OK, not
much sledge hammering required.

Good luck

Frank van Dalen