building a 5 liter

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: building a 5 liter
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:16:07 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Two suggestions on building, contact D & D for a quote on parts or a
built engine  810 798 2491. Contact Woody Cooper at The Wedge Shop web
site or e-mail SMCTR8@aol.com. Woody probably would start with a 4.6
Rover.

Use a 1964 Buick 300 with aluminum heads. It is already a 5 liter, works
with most of the traditional V8 swap stuff, like motor mounts, oil
filter items. It has a modern BOP pattern bell housing to mate with a
T-5 or other GM tranny, plus it works with only a small weight penalty.
Mike Moore has done it & his car is a knockout, runs faster than stink,
& was relatively inexpensive to build. Any Buick 300 will work,
1964-'67, I believe, with a swap to the aluminum heads, which were 1964
only. Lots of the heads still around. Mike is on the list(?) & maybe we
will hear from him. Hopefully, he will be at the V8 Convention Sept 7-9.

My personal feeling is that starting with a 215 is a very expensive, &
not too reliable way to go. The possibility of core shift makes the
build up less than reliable. Talk to the engine builders & see what they
think. I would go the 5.0 Ford, Buick 300, or Rover 4.6 rather than do
all the machining required on a 215.

Jim Stuart
very happy with a 4.2 Rover