Re: Final drive ratios

To: "mgb-V8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Final drive ratios
From: "Ron Howard" <DigiFX@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:24:11 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Frank...my 2 cents worth:  I use a narrowed 8" Ford rear end geared 3:00,
and find it to be excellent for general highway use. That puts me at ~2400
rpm at 70 mph using the overdrive of a stock MGB trans. Calculated top speed
is 140 mph, though I've never seen it. Of course, much depends on the
configuration of your motor, cam, etc.. The reason, I think, you found the
facrory V8s disappointing is they didn't really make any real power...being
rated at ~130 hp. It's actually hard to build one of these motors to have
that little power. Just putting a 4-barrel carb on the motor will make
significant additional power. Paying just a little attention to the
efficiency of the motor should easily get you 200 hp....I think you'll find
that to be a little less disappointing.   ...ron howard