Re: Tire Sizes

To: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Sizes
From: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:29:29 -0500
Cc: MGB-V8 List <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Listers,

Thanks for the replys.  The 195/50's I'm going to put on the 15 " wheels
will be shorter than the stock 165/70 - 14" I'm replacing, so there isn't a
height problem - the problem should be the width, but I want to put as much
rubber on the road as I can, and reduce tire roll with the lowest
reasonable aspect ratio.  The problem with rubbing I think will be with the
width, and I think I'm right on the edge with the 195's.

I bought the mini lite repros from moss.  Don't know about any offsest.
Others have said that 195 width tires would fit on those 5.5" width rims
and be OK inside the MGB wheel wells.  Should I roll up the inside lip of
the rear wheel well's - isn't that where the rub would be ?  There seems to
be significantly more clearance in the wheel wells on the 75 compared to
my 68.  In fact, it's hard to see how any width tires would be a problem on
the 75, with all the room there is above the tire in the rear wheel well.

I'm planning to order the tires from Tire Rack, so confirming the size
ahead of time is important, since I won't get to experiment.

Safety faster,

Rick Huber