Re: Bob's Brake Saga - Brake Cylinder Orientation Update

To: Bob Donahue <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Bob's Brake Saga - Brake Cylinder Orientation Update
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:54:24 -0700
Charles,

Do those "trainning shoes" come with outriders?  ;-)    I think that the
term you were intending to use is trailing shoes.

Bob,

Without looking at the wheels on our TD, or digging through the book at
midnight, I am not sure which way the cylinders point.  I do know that
they should be such that the end of the shoe that engages the drum as
the cylinder pushes it out has to be such that the drum pushes it out
further, resulting in a servo action to make the shoes press harder
against the drums.  Regardless, to have the brakes stop the car in a
straight line, both sides have to be the same. If one side is getting
the servo action and the other side is not, the car will pull to the
side with the servo action (as you experienced).

Cheers,
Dave