Re: Tight Brakes

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com, mgs@autox.team.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tight Brakes
From: herald1200@aol.com
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:22:10 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Donahue <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>; mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Sent: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:32:40 -0500
Subject: Tight Brakes

   I put new brake linings on the old TD today. Two of the wheels were
'tight',
even with the adjusters fully retracted. I wasn't too concerned as I
could
still push the car by hand, although I could feel some resistance.
After a two
mile drive, I stopped to check the wheels. One of the 'tight' drums was
just
warm, but the other one was hot enough to fry spit (and smelled hot).

Should I .....
    Don't worry, be happy?
    Take short slow drives until the linings break in?
    Not drive at all until I find some linings that don't drag?
    Other?

=======

Bob, please don't take offense; I'm offering this suggestion based on
my own experience with similar brakes on a Triumph Mayflower years ago.
Are you sure all the return springs are correctly located? I did mess
up one spring on the front wheel on the Mayflower, which led to severe
binding...until I discovered and fixed it. ;-)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>