Re: Why Two?

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why Two?
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:38:42 -0500
Scott:

If your talking about the "integral canister" filter that's part of the oil
pump, here is what I wrote some time ago in an old post:

"    The narrow gasket is the correct one. For many years I used the thick
gasket on top of the narrow one (I didn't even know the narrow one was
there.). Then one day I had a major oil spill on the garage floor, like the
Exon Valdez. The list clued me in on the narrow gasket and the almost hidden
groove it goes in. The old narrow gasket was as hard as a rock and bonded to
the groove so rigidly, I had to chisel it out! Now I always put a new
"narrow" gasket in when changing the filter. Now getting that gasket into
the groove is a royal pain and it's hard to see if it's properly seated. I
also try to guide the canister on straight and hold it so it doesn't turn
against the gasket. I turn the bolt not the canister. "

This groove really is well hidden, and only the thin seal will fit in it. I
bought the spin-on filter adapters, but I can't get the old "filter bolt to
pump adapter (as Moss calls it)" loose. Next time the engine is out, that
part is going to meet Mr. acetylene wrench!

Anyone still using the "integral canister" filter should double check for
leaks after changing the filter element. Rev the engine briefly first, to
get the pressure up. If the seal is not seated properly, you will loose oil
fast! DO NOT HIT THE ROAD WITHOUT FIRST CHECKING FOR A LEAK!
Hey guys, am I right on this?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470