Re: [mg-tabc] Re: TB lights

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Re: TB lights
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 22:20:30 -0700
RE: Power consumption and dynamo output.

I read with interest the problems associated with installing
halogens in T series cars.  I have them in my TD.  My TD is a
later one with the 19 amp dynamo.

According to some references I checked, the TC dynamo's output is
13 amps; early TD's, 17 amps; and later TD's 19 amps.  I know we,
and I am one of them,  don't like to deviate much from
originality, but sometimes it is necessary for safety.  AS the TB
and TC both have XPAG engines I would think it possible to fit
the later TD dynamo which would have 50% greater output.

I don't know what the output of the TA dynamo is.

Another thing to consider is the age of the battery.  AS they get
older, some batteries require more of the dynamo's output to stay
charged.  This would leave less for running lamps.

FWIW: I rebuilt TD 10531 an EXL/NA car for someone, and it had
the Lucas lamps with the separate bulb.  Was that normal for
early TD's?