Re: Recent query re TB lights - late reply

To: "INTERNET:TATERRY@aol.com" <TATERRY@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Recent query re TB lights - late reply
From: PMS GB Ltd <100070.740@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 06:06:20 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:TATERRY@aol.com
>In a message dated 5/11/00 9:37:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
spook01@home.com
>writes:<< Does anyone know if the headlights on the TC are the same unit
as the TB?? >>
>Ray, this is probably more than you wanted.....<<

Thanks Terry for the detail list of the Headlights used on various models
you posted a bit ago, I can add some detail on the TABC LB140 lamps
however, as things aint quite as simple as may seem, and bore the list with
minute detail yet again! Sorry! But here goes......

Never mind that the TA had solenoid dip on one lamp, the TB just had one
light just go out(!!!), the TC had one double dipping bulb and the TC EXU
two dipping bulbs, and no doubt there are other wiring diagram versions
about as well -

The TC LB140 headlights differed from the TA/B LB140 in a number of ways -
As far as I know the following facts are correct:-

1.  Firstly that the TA and TB units were the same all through except for
the differences in the dipping mechanism of the reflectors - TA - one light
on permanent dip, the other a solenoid - TB one dipped, the other main beam
just went  out.

2.   Lucas Badge was recessed flush into the body of the Post War TC
lights, but not so on the TA/TB pre war units where it stood slightly above
the body,

3.  Then, of course the TA TB units have a screw to close the rim onto the
body - the TC has a spring clip - the bodies and rims being different to
cater for the two fitting types.  Did very early TCs possibly use old stock
TA/TB units with screw fitting rims? Maybe not as DBL 606 the demonstrator
TC and I think a very early car - seems to have spring clip fittings and
the flatter glass.

4.  Also the variety of lens glasses and rims used:-

The TA/TB  had Flattish, Horseshoe patterned lens, deep curved rim edges,
and screw fitting o the body.

Early TCs had the TA/TB style Flat Horseshoe pattern glass lens and rim too
but seem to have spring clips so must have different rim, and a different
hole in the body of the light. The  Lucas name and part number appeared on
the top-rear  of the outer rim, it was not visible when the glass was
installed.  Lens outside diameter is 7 7/8".

A Deeply Domed Horseshoe pattern lens was then available from Lucas later
(when?) and this used a different rim section to adapt to the glass radius.
After TC1850 they switched to Deep Domed Cats Eye lenses.  Remember, the
headlight rim that the lens is mounted in changed  shape at the edge
depending on if it was to conform to a flat or deep dished lens. For a flat
glass it has a full curve - for a deep domed lens it does not turn over
nearly so much.

The LATE TC after #1850 had the Deep Domed, CATS EYE  pattern. This lens
originally had "LUCAS" spelt in small letters in a vertical line ( about
3/4" long ) in the center of the lens.  Later After Martket versions of
this lens had the same Cats Eye pattern but the "LUCAS" was now in larger
print horizontally across the center of the lens inside a clear circle
about 1 3/8" diameter.

Many laterly converted lights use Lucas #553435 adaptor rims for smaller
sealed beam 8" units

So just nip out and check that your lights are to original specification!!!

Clive Sherriff

Oxford UK