Re: Body Work - Welding

To: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Body Work - Welding
From: "Rick Neves" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:05:53 -0500
Hey Bob,

Use the MIG for a clean weld. Use 75:25 Argon:CO2.

I purchased some butt weld clamps from Eastwood. These worked pretty well
for holding the gap just right for butt welding.

You can see some pics of the process that I went through for my front
fender. Its pretty much the same process for the doglegs. I hope you do a
better job that I did with the weld penetration. We had to reweld this a
couple of times and got tooo much heat into the panel. Lucky for me I had an
expert fix my problems.

Weld a spot, then move down a few inches to keep the heat down. I would also
use a wet rag to cool down the panel and help shrink out any warpage. Also
hammer the spots as you go, when they are hot to compress the weld.

Here's a link to some of the images

http://www.rickneves.com/HealeyPics/FenderRepairLeadLoading/

Sincerely

Rick Neves