geez

Re: GPS, Dataloggers & GEEZ?

To: "Ron Katona" <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: GPS, Dataloggers & GEEZ?
From: "Byron Short" <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:27:05 -0700
NEAT PRODUCT!

A long time ago, we used to think that if we upgraded the
G-Cube, it would be to put in a yaw rate sensor.  We can use
yaw rate to verify speed, and it can also help get better
maps more directly.  Then we saw the trend in GPS chipsets.
I told my hardware guys that when we can buy GPS chipsets
cheap enough we will make that the next sensor inside the
box.  My stated goal at that time was a full
GPS/accelerometer system for around $800.  It looks like
these guys are on the right track!  We'll research the GPS
thing again, as it looks like the time might be right.
We'll probably never stop selling the current G-Cube, as
it's an inexpensive but effective product that fits into a
much broader market.  But we are interested in going
upmarket.  Only a little ways, though...I have no interest
in producing $2000 systems.

On your other question, Ron, I'm always interested in making
GEEZ software work with more kinds of hardware.  We could
either write an external translator to alter their data
structure into a GEEZ compliant structure, or if the product
is common, we might build it into our interface directly
like the G.Analyst.

--Byron

Ron Katona wrote:

> I've always wondered if commercial GPS receivers are getting accurate
> enough that combining it with accelerometer based systems might create a
> better G-Cube. Seems someone else already had the idea:
> <http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage/Products/Logger/DL90Home.html>.
>
> The only thing is that this product (for all it's wonderful
> functionality) isn't autocross centric. I'd love to see Byron's Extreme
> GEEZ software running off data from this machine as well as being able
> to use its proprietary software for other analysis.
>
> Looks like the price is about $750-$800 USD depending on the exchange
> rate. Not in the same market as the G-Cube, but not extremely far out
> when you consider more exotic data loggers.
>
> Byron, any chance you'd be interested in writing GEEZ to work with a
> system like this just as it did with the G-Analyst?
> --
> Ron Katona

///