geez

Re: Useage ratings

To: "Wes Shew" <schumi@vcn.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Useage ratings
From: "Byron Short" <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:05:41 -0700
Hey Wes,

Usage is takes the greater of either your percentage of
Total G's (that is, distance to the edge of the implied
friction circle), or Transition Rate, or if both of those
fail, how hard you are on the gas.  The ranking of how much
you spend doing each, typically, is 1. Friction Circle, 2.
Gas, 3. Transition rate.

So to get higher usage the biggest thing is to be sure that
you are pulling good high g levels all the way through the
turn.  See if your g's are coming to their full max level
quickly, then staying there.  Or are you "hunting" with the
wheel, producing high-low formations throughout the corner.

Your RF lockup problem needs to be resolved if you feel that
you are having to modify your driving to accomodate it in
such a way that your score is getting hurt by it.  (This is
one of those example of where GEEZ helps you with setup.)
Yvonne and I just changed the brake bias on our Miata after
fighting a similar problem.  Since we are in stock, we
bought super aggressive rear pads, and left the stock pads
on the front.  This did the trick, and now we can attack
turns without having to work around the front lockup
problem.  Our scores went up right away, (well, as soon as
we altered our driving to take advantage of the car's new
capabilities anyway).

A 360 degree turn is a circle...do you mean a 180?  Although
either way, the thing to keep in mind is that the radius
angle changes how far around the turn goes.  When you go
further around, the software accomplishes this by drawing
more distance on each tick, which essentially makes the turn
larger.  Using the size will adjust the whole thing in
scale.  So if your adjustment is bigger in one direction
than the other it's because your radius changes the size of
the turn portion of the selected block only, and the turn
section is centered in that direction.  This is very
consistent, but again, I'm not sure I'm answering your
question correctly on this one since I'm imagining what you
are seeing.

Finally, yes using photos for roll and pitch can be very
accurate, but be sure that you know that you were at max g's
at the time!  If you have a good picture for lateral g's,
but not for longitudinal, try setting lon to about 2/3 of
lat.

--Byron

Wes Shew wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Byron Short wrote:
>
> > Actually, I bet you aren't cutting the end off of your
> > runs.  GEEZ continues to take measurements even after the
>
> Thanx Byron, that worked great.
>
> Last weekend w/ my FSP VW Scirocco, my FTD run w/ adjusted data shows:
>
> Overall 87.3
> Useage 82
> Smoothness 93
> Aggressiveness 93
>
> So my Useage is below median of 86. I've read all the wizards and 80% of
> the help files (must be a huge flowchart!). How do I raise my Useage
> rating? I played the run and watched Useage throughout the course. I guess
> I could work on late braking more, but the VW RF wheel has a problem
> of early lockup on threshold braking. What makes the most difference in
> Useage, total G's or accleration or transition rate?
>
> As an aside, when I played with range and radius it only affected a 360
> deg. turn in up & down length, but not side to side width. Is that right?
>
> Any reccom. for roll and pitch #s for my M030 S2? Is measuring off of
> photos accurate? TIA
>
> --
> Yours in motorsport, Wesley E. Shew   [ macher ;-) ]
> #99 AS 1991 PORSCHE 944 S2 cpe 3.0L(M030&LSD)Indischrot/Schwarz Kunstleder
>  #53 FSP 1980 VW Scirocco Mk.I, 1.6L bal.& blueprt, Platinum Grey Metallic
>   SCCA (NWR) & PCA (CWR) Vancouver, Canada  (604)677-1944 schumi@vcn.bc.ca

///