fot

RE: OD gasket sealant

To: "'Peter Vucinic'" <vucinic@b140.aone.net.au>,
Subject: RE: OD gasket sealant
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:28:50 -0700
The best gasket compound I have ever found for surfaces in decent shape is
Yamabond. Use #4 for rougher parts and #5 for ones in excellent shape. You
can get it at any Yamaha motorcycle shop. I also like the newer "right
stuff" gasket replacement from Permatex (I think), but use it sparingly. I
don't know if it will work in this application, but there are sealing
washers that work a lot better than copper. You can get washers with
bonded rubber on the inside hole and the bottom surface. They usually have
a slight cup to them so they squeeze onto the stud at the same time that
they seal against the part. Not so good for higher torque, but in most
applications where there is a gasket they are fine. Last time I bought a
bunch I found them at ACE hardware, but they haven't had any for awhile.