Re: [Roadsters] time estimate for removing windshield frame,

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] time estimate for removing windshield frame,
From: Pete Peters <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 23:49:10 +0000 (UTC)
Appreciate the many responses.

I've had a Simpson 260 since the '70's, and bought an auto-ranging digital
meter from Sears several years ago.

Yes, I could pull the temp sensor and stick it in a pot of boiling water, etc,
etc, but I want to avoid another potential repair as the sensor looks rusted in
place.

Did not realize a non-contact thermal sensor was that cheap. Will stop at
Harbor Freight on the way home.

That said, the water temp and gas gauges are wired incorrectly. PO ran 12v
directly to the gauges, bypassing the instrument voltage regulator. The gauges
and senders may be fine, but they're both reading high to pegged, probably
because they're getting full 12v instead of through the instrument VR.

The instrument cluster in my lap would be a whole lot easier than laying on my
back reaching into a space sized for a 12yo girl. Will try Mike's suggestion of
removing the tach to access the temp gauge wires, and the glove box to access
the gas gauge.

Will keep y'all posted.

Pete "...slowly I turned, step by step..."