Re: [Roadsters] Elk encounter

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Elk encounter
From: hallosb@juno.com
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:47:11 -0700
Equally long narrative.  May have told this story to the list before.

Count your blessings. I hit a full grown bull elk (800+ lbs) on a highway
near Ruidoso, NM in a '93 Nissan Sentra.  The elk came through the front
windshield and punched my right shoulder.  Glass went flying everywhere.
I knew the elk had entered the cabin more towards the passenger side so,
I was terrified to look towards my girlfriend sitting in the passenger's
seat.  It's one of those moments that seem to just run in slow motion.
Luckily, she was completely untouched.  The elk's chest had hit the roof
folding it practically in half.  His front hoof is probably what hit my
shoulder.  The elk tried to stand up but, collapsed and died on the
highway.  When the wrecker came to pick up the car, first order of
business was to drag the elk off the highway.

Word gets out quickly when you hit an elk.  I had lots of well meaning
people make jokes and comments about elk meat, etc.  I just have a hard
time finding any humor in the accident.  If the elk had entered the cabin
a foot to either the left or right, the elk may not have been the only
one to die that day.

Lesson learned.  Slow down on those twisty mountain roads in elk country.
 Especially early morning and dusk, when they're more active.

Dan McHatton
'66 1600

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:15:14 -0500 "Richard Brown" <reblues@reblues.net>