Re: slightly OT: purchasing a non titled car

To: "Stan" <stathy@shaw.ca>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: slightly OT: purchasing a non titled car
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:25:03 -0500
Stan,
Not sure about regs in Canada, but here in Ohio, it was required that the
seller had to have the title transferred into their name.

However.... when I bought the "R", it was from an out of state seller in PA.
He had purchased the car from a guy in NY, who had purchased it from a woman
in WV.

He had a signed title from the woman in WV to the guy in NY.  He also had
signed bills of sale ( one on official NY state form, one hand written
signed & dated).  The local OHBMV office wanted me to go back to the two
previous owners and have each do the transfer.  I called the state office,
and they told me I that a Common Pleas Judge could issue a bench ruling that
would require the BMV title it for me.  This seemed to be the easier of the
two options, since the NY guy had moved to heaven knows where.

I called the Judge's office and they told me to submit all the paperwork I
had ( originals) along with a notarized affidavit by me detailing the facts
as I knew them.  It took around 4 weeks, undoubtedly time for them to do a
search of stolen vehicle database, and then they called and said the bench
ruling was approved and ready.

Took it to the local BMV, and was issued a current, clear title.  According
to the Judge, this is done somewhat regularly when dealing with vintage cars
that have not been running in years.

Might be worth investigating if a similar process is available to you.
Maybe ask for copies of the documents the potential sellers have to see if
its an option for you.

Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH