Re: Spare Tire

To: "Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spare Tire
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:45:26 -0700
Be careful not to run with different diameter tires on the rear axle for an
significant distance, this forces the side gears to rotate continuously. The
side gears are plain steel-on-steel bushings and are not well lubricated,
they tend to overheat, then gall, eventually they will seize. A better idea
is to find a small spare that fits the front hub and then run the spare only
on the front and repair the flat as soon as possible. I use a stock rim with
a 165-65-14 tire (smallest 14" I could find). I have it offset to the left
side of the trunk and it provides a little more room.
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
'68 2L DATSFUN