RE: Rebuilding a 68' steering box

To: "'Scott Occhiuto'" <calabria1922@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Rebuilding a 68' steering box
From: Mitch Planck <mitch@ias.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:16:57 -0500
> Has anyone rebuilt a steering box and can tell me:
>
> - the process for inspection and removal?
> - the steps for rebuilding it and adjusting it?
> - exactly what parts are needed, or how to determine
> that myself?
> - any lessons learned you have?
>
> I have the Clymer manual and PDFs of parts manual, so
> I can look some information up.

I can't tell you a whole lot but here's what I do know. I also haven't put
my steering box back in my car, it's sitting on the bench waiting for
further frame work to be done so I don't know how well it will operate yet.

Anyways, I have an old book I scanned in part of (the steering box section)
and put on my website. Here is the link:
http://brooks-planck.org/DatsunDiaries/steering_boxes.html. I put a few
notes in it from when I did work on the box.

I basically took mine apart, cleaned everything up, and checked all the
parts for visible wear or damage. I hadn't had any problems back when this
things was a driver so I didn't expect any problems and I didn't see
anything wrong so I put it back together and adjusted it as best I could
without having a working car to put it on. It turns smoothly throughout its
range of motion and doesn't leak anymore, my basic goal (it did leak
before). The steps I used for adjusting are described in the
Recirculation-Ball Adjustments section of the page I put up.

Best of luck,
Mitch Planck
Chelsea, MI
'69 1600 - parts car
'70 1600 - frame hanging in the garage, body sitting under a tarp