Rebuilding a 68' steering box

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding a 68' steering box
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:37:23 -0800 (PST)
Hi All,

Hope everyone is enjoying their roadsters as spring is
approaching!

I was told by a front end/frame shop that my 68' 2000
needs a new steering box, and/or u-joints.  It has
some slop in it and has the classic notch at the
steering wheel center point.  I am assuming I have the
old style box but have heard the newer box in the 70s
are better.  I do have a spare box from a 68' 1600
that I could use to rebuild while driving the car with
the existing one.

Has anyone rebuilt a steering box and can tell me:

- the process for inspection and removal?
- the steps for rebuilding it and adjusting it?
- exactly what parts are needed, or how to determine
that myself?
- any lessons learned you have?

I have the Clymer manual and PDFs of parts manual, so
I can look some information up.

Thanks all!

Scott Occhiuto
68 2000