RE: oil cooler

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: oil cooler
From: "Thomas - Sweden" <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:01:27 +0100 (CET)
That's why they invented the oil cooler thermostat. There are kits with
a built in thermostat in the sandwich adapter. Also, because Volvo
engines with cast iron blocks have the same thread on the oil filter as
Datsun engines (same as L series anyway) there's another solution. They
have on the 940 engines (dont use the old Volvo type from the pushrod
engines) a sandwich adaptor between the engine block and the oil filter.
This part is connected to the coolant system and will warm up the oil to
90 degrees C (180F) or cool down to 90C (180F) as soon as the coolant
have reached that temperature. It works well in for most conditions you
can get into. I'm shure other brand of engines use this type of oil heat
exchanger too. It might not sound like it's going to work but I have
seen the same method of cooling the oil on expensive exotics with dry
sump oil systems.

Thomas