Suspension rebuild, suggestions

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension rebuild, suggestions
From: "Alex Avery" <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:31:46 -0500
Hi all, as an infrequent participant but faithful reader of this listserve,
I'd like advice on rebuilding the suspension on my father's '69 2000.

We've spent the last year and a half recovering from a snapped camshaft that
broke in half due to a severely warped head. After getting part way through a
rebuild of that head we realized that it was short a full 10th of an inch,
mostly on the block side! Ouch.  So, that head wasn't any good. Thanks to Dean
and the great head he sold us (it was actually slightly thicker than stock
specs!), we're back on the road with a newly rebuilt top end and new timing
set and she's running strong.

Which brings me to the suspension. She's quite bouncy and jittery, and above
50 mph or so she gets the shimmy/shake syndrome. Not horrible, but certainly
not comfortable nor necessary.  So I'd like to replace the shocks and springs
up front and replace any appropriate bushings to tighten her up to match the
peppy engine.

Where's the best place to get such parts (I'm assuming they are still
available), best brands, etc.? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

And finally, what's the going rate for an interior kit from CDM? I.e. door
panels, etc. (Our dash has already been remanufactured at Just Dashes a couple
of years ago, which has made the rest of the interior look like cr_p!).

I'd really like to get her cleaned up and looking/driving nice so my father
can enjoy his toy for the whole season this year. He's owned the car for 5
years and only been able to drive it for brief portions of each summer before
another problem has cropped up and put her out of commission. But we've slowly
worked through the major stuff and are down to the details. Hooaaah!

Thanks all for any and all suggestions, info.
Alex Avery
Staunton, VA
Caretaker of the '69 2000
Owner of '76 280 Z carcass (slowly being depleted) and
'78 280 Z project up on rotisserie awaiting paint, hopped up engine ready to
install (that's my toy!)