Solex's, Mikuni's, Weber's, etc.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Solex's, Mikuni's, Weber's, etc.
From: rlporter5@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:43:30 -0500
This is my second post to the list, so forgive any miss-steps!

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm putting my '69 2000 back together
after being separated from her for 22 years.  Body's good, need to get
the intake and exhaust back on - PO was in the midst of installing
headers when he got sidetracked...for 12 years!

So, as I'm rebuilding the SU's and researching header coatings (thank
you for all of the good suggestions), I'm more and more intrigued by the
Solex option.  (My best friend in high school had a Solex 2000 so I have
enjoyed and compared them side by side.)  My question is, why just
Solex's?  Why not other side draft carbs like Mikuni's or Weber's or
...?  Is it to stay true to the original factory options, or is there
something special about Solex's on a roadster.  You can still buy Webers
today.  And 44 PPH's seem to be the ticket.  Was it the Bob Sharp manual
that said they also offered 50's as well!  The hp and torque curves in
the back of my manuals point out that the Solex's really don't kick in
until you are up in the rev's.

And then there's the question of manifolds - is there only one design
that really works, or are there several?

Thanks for entertaining my questions!

Bob Porter