What do you make interior panels out of?

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: What do you make interior panels out of?
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:08:13 -0800
I spent much of the day fiddling with the Datsun.  Finally closing up
the plumbing and filling the radiator.  At last it is only an oil change
away from starting after changing the head gasket , heater core and
control cables, and having Keith rebuild the carbs.

Now I am turning my attention to speakers for the stereo, which takes me
directly into interior panels, which are barely hanging together by the
vinyl cover.  Even the good one is almost garbage.  I did manage to use
them to make a sheet plastic template for future use.  I am going to
mount the speakers to the body itself and then custom build the interior
panels to go around the speakers.

My problem is I don't know what the backing material for these panels
is, or where to start looking for it.  I seriously considered the
plastic sheet, but I don't think it would last with all of the
vibration.  Any ideas?

Tom
69 2000
Portland