'64 Brake question

To: "Roadster Mail Group" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: '64 Brake question
From: "audela2" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 07:56:58 -0700
I was chatting with a guy who restores cars, and mentioned a problem we're
having with our '64 1500.  We lose brake pressure and have to pump the pedal
several times before the brakes will grab.  When they finally kick in, they
work fine but we have to pump them every single time.  He said that there is a
valve in the differential switch (I think that's what he called it; the little
box that the brake master connects to as well as the lines to the 4 wheels)
that needs to be reset.  The guy said that when this valve is off-center the
brakes don't work properly and neither will the brake lights (which is a
problem we also have.)

The little bugger is practically frozen to the firewall.  I've doused it with
PB Blaster in hopes of being able to loosen at the very least the brake light
switch.  Does this guy sound like he knows what he's talking about and if so,
what do I need to be looking for?  I might have a spare differential switch so
I can replace it if necessary.

As a bit of background; we've replaced the master cylinder, bled the system a
couple times.  According to the PO the car had a brake job within the last few
years.

Thanks!
Charlotte Hoover
Phoenix, Arizona