Who Am I?

To: datsun roadster mailist <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Who Am I?
From: Hoon Kim <hoon@pixar.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:27:05 -0700
Time for me to fill in.

I'm 27, single, and currently an editorial manager for Pixar
Animation Studios. I studied film in college (UC Davis), then started
working at Pixar on A Bug's Life as an intern. Then moved my way up
working on Toy Story 2, then Monster's Inc, and currently on a
potential 2005 film tentatively titled "Cars". (I've tried to use my
Datsun love to influence the film to no avail, and no I cannot
indulge anymore about the film other than it's about cars). As an
editorial manager, I don't proofread or write, but instead make sure
that what coming into editorial, i.e.,. animated shots, storyboards,
get put together to make a coherent and hopefully entertaining story.

I started with no real interest in cars, first driving my parents 77'
BMW 535i, then a '93 Jeep Cherokee. Then working at Pixar I got the
bug for cars since many people here have great cars.  I was looking
into getting a sporty car like a BMW 2002, then got sucked into
510's, then found the beautiful roadster.

Bought my first (and only) roadster from a father/son fix 'em up
project when the son was going off to college and didn't want to work
on the car anymore for $2000. I had no idea how to drive stick before
test driving the roadster. I don't know if it was the sensation of
driving stick or driving the roadster that gave me that first rush of
exhilaration, but I knew I had to get it.

Since then, I have also acquired a '64 312 wagon in great shape. Now
I only have nightmares about parking rather than breakdowns in the
middle of nowhere.

I had no previous experience working on cars, and didn't even know
how to change my own oil. I forced myself to get the roadster to
learn how to drive stick, and to fix-up and maintain cars.

When I have free time I spend with my girlfriend, trying to restore
my cars, and watching lots of movies. If it wasn't for the list I
would be $2000 poorer (rather than much more), and with a non running
roadster.
--

Hoon Kim
Pixar Animation Studios