Re: Before/After shots roadster lowering, BADROC pics

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Before/After shots roadster lowering, BADROC pics
From: "Lino Baggio" <linob@sentex.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:17:57 -0400
Along with my roadster, I also have (2) 240Z's in my garage that have been
the source of my automotive lessons in trial and error - emphasis on the
error,
My one 240 I've had for 18 years or so - purchased when I was in high school
(read poor). I bought competion springs which didn't quite lower the car
enough - so, after hack-sawing a few coils, I now have the agressive stance
desired as well as the comfy ride of an empty dump truck. On the upside, the
car is a blast on the racetrack - privided it's billiard table smooth. My
second 240 I just finished a ground up restoration. Wanting the agressive in
the weeds stance I went to Ground Control for coil overs. They suggested
that I didn't need to cut and shorten the strut housing for street use.
After adjusting the spring perches to the desired ride hight, the car sat on
the bump stops.  Another trial and another error. Off came my freshly
restored suspension, much cutting, welding, painting, new shorter 5 way
adjustable struts and many, many $$ later, I now have a car that is an
absolute dream to drive - handles exceptionally well and is very smooth on
the road, rivalling many modern, expensive sports cars, plus has the
agressive, lowered stance. It's a joy and pleasure to drive.
Moral of the story - I'm ignoring the part in Bob Sharp's Comp. manual about
altering the springs on the front  of my Roadster.  A vintage Datsun looks
and drives just fine with the accellerating speed boat stance with the front
end in the air.
Note - you may want to rig up some oil pan protection