Re: purists

To: Mark Sedlack <msedlack@neo.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: purists
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:36:50 -0800
Consider the "SUV" button well and truly pushed...

Folks in the rest of the country seem to forget that not all of California is
sunny and
warm all the time - ask the folks who live in the Sierra, or the Trinities and
Siskiyous
about snow and the need for 4-wheel drive; however - driving an over-sized,
unstable,
tarted-up 4-wheel drive (or 2-wheel drive that wants to LOOK like a 4-wheel
drive) as a
primary vehicle in clear conditions on dry pavement is ridiculous. The safety
arguments
for SUVs are spurious at best - they are based upon the "I'm bigger than you,
so if you
hit me (or if I hit you), you'll bounce off" argument - well, folks, don't look
now, but
an 18-wheeler trumps that card, and there are plenty of them around!

The handling characteristics of the typical SUV, including your Durango, Mark,
are abysmal
- they have a much higher rollover accident rate than normal passenger
vehicles, usually
occurring in a rapid lane change or accident avoidance maneuver. The
combination of a high
center of gravity and relatively soft suspension characteristics is unforgiving
- and
dangerous for the unwary or unskilled driver (which includes most of the people
on the
road... )

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA (it snowed here once... ) ;^)