Re: Why I chose KA24 over SR20

To: birukun@san.rr.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why I chose KA24 over SR20
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 01:37:20 EST
Ah I haven't really had time to go through all my emails this week.. been
busy and today was my "day off," so I've been working on web page stuff
(gotta get the old BADROC stuff to fred so that BADROC can live again!).
The JDM (japanese domestic market) SR20DEs do have more hp than the USDM ones
because they had higher compression. The non-turbo DE can safely put out
about 350 crank hp on the stock internals. Some of the FWD SE-R guys have
pushed the limit even further, but that is with race gas and water injection,
etc.. The turbocharged DET can go up to 450+ w/o any tricks.. just good 'ole
boost.
The SR20 motor is a good 100+ lbs lighter than the KA24. It's a lot more
compact.. the only reason you have to notch the roadster front xmember for an
SR20 is because it has a front sump oil pan. Oh yah, the motor is also not as
tall as the KA24, so no fear of the hood not closing.
The SR20 is a square design, with 86mm bore and 86mm stroke, the KA24 has an
89mm bore with a 96mm stroke.. definitely makes for a lot of torque, but not
a lot of revability. An SR20 can rev to 8000 stock, and with some valvetrain
fortifications, you can go anywhere from 9000, all the way to over 10K...
that'd be pretty fun.
I was going to shoot for about 420-430hp from my roadster's SR20, but the
thought of that in a sub-2000lb car is a little scary..

\/ /\ /\/
www.sr20parts.com - updated 7.27.01
Ares Engineering - coming soon(er or later)