Re[2]: 2L Chain Tensioner

To: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Subject: Re[2]: 2L Chain Tensioner
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:26:13 -0700
Patrick,

Both. The oil keeps pressure on the tensioner, and there is a tiny hole in
the rubber block that allows oil to lubricate it.

It seems to me that nothing is forever. That includes a spring in the
tensioner. That's why Datsun recommended swapping out the timing chain
components like every 60,000 miles so you won't have to deal with a spring
losing it's tension over a period of use.

Perhaps the problem is that folks are using the tensioners well beyond
their lifespan by not swapping them out at the same time as the chains.

As for requiring shimming of the tensioner due to a change of timing geometry,
that's another matter altogether. If the head's been severely cut then a new
tensioner spring won't do the job, so a modification needs to be done, like
these guys are doing.

Oh, one other thing. Sometimes the oil pressure to the tensioner is compromised.
Either due to a blockage from crud, or the gasket doesn't have a large enough
hole (or is completely blocking the hole), or the tensioner is loose and allows
the oil to leak from the side.

A long time ago when I was a newbie, I ignored the death rattle. Result was
holes in my timing chain cover and the valve cover when things gave way, when
someone else drove it and raced the engine.

Fred - So.SF