RE: brake rotors - some facts/ analysis

To: "'Daniel E McHatton'" <hallosb@juno.com>,
Subject: RE: brake rotors - some facts/ analysis
From: Howard Fletcher <hgf@netro.com.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:11:25 +1100
Rotors should be machined or replaced if they are cracked or unevenly worn
or warped, it retards breaking performance.

However, if  each time you machine the rotors you take off 1mm, then they
will get very quickly below the specified limit. The DBA sport rotors have
the stamp MINTH 9.4MM on the edge of the rotor.
That means a minimum thickness of 9.4mm so a rotor's life could be as
little as 2 skims.(they start at about 11mm) - now is a good time to buy a
cheap plastic measuring caliper and check the thickness of your rotors.

Think of the mass removed when you take 1mm off 11mm - nearly 10 per cent -
that might be about 10% less heat absorbed.

A lot of guys who turn rotors for $20 are butchers and wont give them a
light skim say 0.5mm or less, then check them.  (it takes more time to do
that) give specific instructions for disk machining and ask for them to
tell you the thickness at the end.

The disks should not bend - the calipers grab them in a sandwich - unless
you have very unevenly worn pads. You can loose pressure between the rotor
and the pad but this is the combination of pad wear and disk thickness -
scary though.  If you go below 8mm thickness it starts to become a real
worry.

Thickness ultimately is a safety issue - the disks could heat and shatter
if they are thin and develop deep cracks,  I once saw a 930 Porche with
cracks that looked about .5mm wide (and probably 3mm deep) all over racing
disks - sitting in a race track car park with Targa Tasmania stickers on it
-  the driver must have had a death wish.

You brakes inform you at the worst time that they are saying bye-bye - down
a mountain road where there are heaps of bends and probably a 1000 foot
drop at the next corner.

Regards

Howard,
2 Datsun roadsters (one to race on next weekend)