Re: brake rotors - some facts/ analysis

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake rotors - some facts/ analysis
From: "Nathan Ruffcorn" <nruff@famvid.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 06:53:02 -0600
> A lot of guys who turn rotors for $20 are butchers and wont give them a
> light skim say 0.5mm or less, then check them.  (it takes more time to do
> that) give specific instructions for disk machining and ask for them to
> tell you the thickness at the end.

I have always had good success having rotors turned at machine shop rather
than the corner service station or brake and tire place.  They are
accustomed to dealing with the tighter tolerances and usually don't charge
much, if any, more.  I had mine turned a couple months back after a trial
run-the pedal would shutter at almost any speed.  The rotors were pitted but
were not warped.  After checking them out with calipers (NOT the cheap
plastic kind <g>) I found there were matching low spots on both rotors?!
The car had sat in one spot for so long (20+ years) that the face of the
rotors were eaten away where the pads had rested.  If you remember, my car
and I almost got toasted a week after getting it on the road.  Without good
brakes, I would not have gotten stopped.

This dead horse needs a continual beating
With winter here, you've got plenty of time-get em fixed!

Nathan