Re: 1600 rear Vs 2000 swap

To: "Laury, Victor" <LauryV@MTA.NET>
Subject: Re: 1600 rear Vs 2000 swap
From: David & Candy Pina <casalp@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:49:48 -0700
Victor,
I am running 225x50x14 Toyo R1s on 6" rims. The last time I ran  I used
36 psi in front and 32 psi rears. I use white shoe polish to mark 4
places on the shoulder of the tires to see how much roll over I get with
each tire. I get about 3/4 " roll over on the fronts and noticed only
1/2" on the rears.  I will drop the rear pressure next time.  I get good
traction in front, only experienced understeer when I locked em up. I
get good transition (slalom) traction. The loss of traction comes when I
get on the power.  Although very predictable and controllable, the
threshold is way too low. Very easy to spin under power in second. I
have my shocks set at firm all around. I ran the shocks soft in the
rears the time before, and my son preferred that saying it was more
predictable, but I thought it gave faster response at the firm setting,
felt better in the slalom, easier to keep on the edge of what traction
was there. Let me know how you do next time. I am considering moving to
225x60 x14 for the rear, taller, wider tire might help. Hoosiers  on
15x7 rims are a definite possibility, but in the distant (yr+) future,
since as of now I can only run my car at autox and track events  and my
budget is very limited. However I may have a 67.5 Solex to sell soon
;-)
David Pina