Re: SR20 conversion

To: bitterrootprop@nidlink.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SR20 conversion
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 23:13:43 EDT
In a message dated 08/09/2000 5:46:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bitterrootprop@nidlink.com writes:

> I was asked if the SR20 would work on a rear drive car. Joe
>  Klokkevold makes a bell housing mod to fit a L series transmission
>  to a front wheel drive SR20DE. Here are a few shots of a 510 he is
>  working on.
>
>  http://www.nidlink.com/~bitterrootprop/joe9.jpg
>  http://www.nidlink.com/~bitterrootprop/joe4.jpg

The SR20 seen in those pics is actually a RWD model...
The problem of running a FWD or AWD SR20 in a RWD application is that the
distributor will basically be sitting inside the firewall, and the throttle
body inlet on the intake plenum will also be facing the firewall. Once you've
tackled both those issues (not to mention fabbing an adapter plate to mate it
to a RWD tranny), you will have spent more $$ than the cost of a new
low-mileage RWD engine/tranny to begin with. And you will end up with an SR20
that isn't as "built" as its RWD counterpart. The FWD block isn't as buffed
as the RWD DE and DETs; the FWD SR20 flywheel will easily fit INSIDE my RWD
SR20 unit! BTW, one can get a RWD SR20DE with tranny, and ECU for ~1000-1200
complete...usually with under 35K miles too.

>  He also showed me a trick on how to mount Mazda aluminum four
>  piston calipers on to a Roadster.

Are these the 4 pot units found on the second gen RX7s? What rotor was he
using? I think I could put together and sell a "kit" to bolt on a set of Z32
aluminum 4 pots (larger pistons and pads than the mazdas with lighter
weight..and it says nissan :) with 2 piece rotors and hats for about.... 800
bucks. Actually, one could put together their own for ~500 if they knew where
to look.

\/ /\ /\/