Re: SR20 conversion

To: bitterrootprop@nidlink.com
Subject: Re: SR20 conversion
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:11:39 EDT
In a message dated 08/09/2000 8:47:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bitterrootprop@nidlink.com writes:

> These two items have been addressed by Joe. He is the importer of the
>  Australian base Wolf EMS (not Jim Wolfe). None of his newer cars
>  use a distributor. The US dollar is very favorable to the Australian dollar
>  right now. The adjust ability of the Wolf System is the best I have seen
on
> the
>  market so far. It has a hand held controller that attaches in the drivers
>  compartment and can the parameters can be changed on the fly. I watched
>  Dave adjust his cars timing while he was standing next to the car.

Ah yes, that is definietly one of the best ways to go about fitting a modern
EFI engine into an old car shell! I'm also going to be using a TEC2 to power
my DET.
Thing is...in those pics you sent, it does appear that that is a RWD SR20
engine though. I can tell by the valve cover, and also the intake manifold is
facing forward.... Then again, the FWD and RWD manifolds are
interchagable...but to get a rwd manifold, you'd have to buy a whole motor!

>  For what I understand getting replacement parts for the Japanese built
>  SR20 is expensive. I have no idea how much parts are for the transmission.
>  He uses the dime a dozen L series transmissions.

Actually, the RWD SR20 shares the same internals as the USDM FWD SR20. Only
real PIA parts to acquire would be head gaskets and the such. But as long as
you have the part #s, some US nissan dealers can order any JDM part for you.

>  Another thing I have been told by people who have imported the SR20DET's
>  from Japan are they have been driven hard and some of them need expensive
>  rebuilds. These are only things I have heard , since I have not purchased
> one
>  myself. I also have heard that  low mileage Japanese engine isn't correct
>  either. I was told that the cars are taken off the road because the cost of
>  registering a older car is extremely high not that they have to many miles.
>  Please correct me if I am wrong on this. I am not trying to sell anything
> that
>  Joe
>  makes. I was just showing you some of his handiwork. He is a true Datsun
>  lover. He would go out of his way to help anyone one with a problem.

Whoops, hope I didn't come off as an irate ahole in my last post... was just
trying to wean as much info as possible... I still enjoy seeing a RWD SR20 in
ANY car, and always try to gather as much info about any swap I come across.
About the low-mileage JDM motor deal... it's true that not all of those
"under 35K" motors have under 35K on them.. but with modern motors such as
the SR20, chances still are that they have no more than 50K or so on them
before they were pulled, if even that much. And it's also true that a lot of
these JDM motors are driven hard, especially performance variants such as the
SR20DET. But I have yet to come across one that wasn't usable...knock on wood.

>  These are calipers he took off his race car it is a twin turboed , three
> rotor
>  second generation RX7. The front brakes on his Roadster uses the standard
>  Roadster rotors and cost him about $5.00 in materials and a little time.
He
> isn't
>  selling them he was just showing me what he has done.
>
>  Sorry if anyone felt like I was misleading with my post.

Hmm, the roadsters have really nice big front rotors, but my complaint has
always been with the fact that they are solid units that aren't too thick.
Any idea how well his brakes worked on that particular car...??

\/ /\ /\/