RE: <OT> cutting torch

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: <OT> cutting torch
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 08:22:07 -0500
Mike,

On the cutting and welding torch:

What are you welding??? ;-)

As a simple "ball park" I will keep the really small tips down
(000 to 0) to around 1 psi on both OXY & ACETYLENE.

As the tips go up from size's 2 through 5, I set set the pressure
to match the tip size. Once again, same pressure on both oxy
& acetylene.

Number 1 tip is good for around 0.060" mild steel
Number 2 tip is good for around 0.125" mild steel.

If you are cutting, you'll need much higher pressure on
the Oxygen. About 20-25 psi depending on what you
are cutting. If you try welding with that much Oxygen
pressure, you will just keep "popping" in the tip, blowing
molten metal all over the place and getting frustrated.

After pulling my old torches out of storage, they were
SHOT! The Victor torches are really nice, and you can
get internal parts for them. Sigh, I ended up buying a new
set after discovering my Acetylene regulator leaked, and
the oxygen regulated would jump between two and eight
psi pressure (hard to weld, thought I had really lost my
touch).

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.