Re: Working out the quirks

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Working out the quirks
From: Stephan Sochoux <sochoux@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
--- Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net> wrote:
> Gas odor: Check the breather hose on the top of the
> gas tank. You can see it if you pull the
> inspection plate in the trunk. This is the hose that
> vents the tank up through the trunk floor next
> to the filler hose. There's a metal fitting on the
> trunk floor, a rubber hose up to the filler neck
> a rubber hose between the tank and the trunk floor
> fitting. You could also be leaking gas from
> around the gas gauge sending unit.

The breather hose looks good. Need to check the
sending unit but i suspect gas in getting in the oil.
I changed the oil this morning and it was very dark
(greenish tint to it), quite surprised for only 350
miles. It also smelled funky but maybe that's me,
trying to convince myself it's the problem. How can i
test the fuel pump for any leaks ?? Is there a rebuild
kit or should it be replaced ?

> Compression: 210-220 is pretty darn high. That's
> probably contributing to the pinging. Are you
> running a stock cam? What are your valves set at?

I'm running the "B" cam, valves are set to .008 and
.012 - I also had to disconnect to vacuum advance to
the SUs as it would start pinging at part throttle.
I need Solexes on this motor...

Stephan
'69 2000

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!