Re: Working out the quirks

To: "Stephan Sochoux" <sochoux@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Working out the quirks
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:47:47 -0700
Stephan,

So that's what it was! Annie and I were a couple cars behind you, and she
was bugging me to pull over and check the engine. Told her it couldn't be
us 'cause I've got open holes to the engine compartment, and opening the
air vents made the gas smell worse. Too bad we ate the beans and franks
after the run, at least we would know what to blame for the odors!

When I rebuilt my engine I also detected a gas smell. It was coming from
the piece of the return fuel line exiting the carbs that normally goes back
to the tank on a smogged car. You might want to check there. If your oil
does have a gas smell, check the fuel pump. Maybe the membrane inside is
leaking fuel into the engine.

About the dirty air filter, the oil may not be spraying from outside the
engine. Is oil dripping into the air filter housing from the crankcase
hose? If so, that may be an indication of high crankcase pressure.

Fred