Re: Charging problems

To: KWS711@aol.com
Subject: Re: Charging problems
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:59:28 -0500
OK, that helps.

Electrical problems are best solved using divide and conquer, with a bit
of "typical problems" checked for first.

Since you just put in a new alternator and regulator there is always the
possibility that thone of them is bad, or that the wires to them did not
get connected correctly.  Since the wiring to the regulator is a multi pin
plug, I doubt that is the problem unless the connections are really
corroded in the harness connector.  Same goes for the multi pin connector
at the alternator.  The one place that  I find folks make a mistake in
replacing the laternator is with the large wire that connects to the stud
on the back of the alternator.  The wire needs to go to the insulated stud,
not to one of the bolts that closes the alternator case.  If the wire is
on a grouned bolt the fuseable link will blow when the battery is reconnected,
causing the alternator to not charge.

The next check will be to see if the problem is with the alternator not
putting anything out, or the power not getting from the alternator to the
battery.

Use a test light or volt meter to see if there is battery voltage on the
output stud on th eback of the alternator.  This is to be done with the
key off and the battery connected.

If there is voltage, the wiring from the alternator to the battery is in tact,
though it may not be correct, the battery will still charge.  This means that
the problem will probably be either the alternator, regulator, or the wiring
between them.

If there is no voltage then the problem is with the wiring between the
alternator
and the battery.

Give that a check and let me know the outcome.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne