Re: '70 4Speed

To: ERW <erwilsey@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: '70 4Speed
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:28:40 -0700
Well, I would apply the term "blip" to the throttle action one would use to
help obtain
"careful rev-matching", rather than apply it to "double-clutching". For a given
road
speed, the engine speed (rpm) will differ according to which gear is selected –
the lower
the gear, the higher the engine speed. Rev-matching means matching engine speed
to the
combination of road speed and the next gear that is to be selected. When
down-shifting
this means "blipping" the throttle to rev the engine up to the higher speed
that will be
appropriate for the lower gear that is to be selected, for upshifts you would
back off of
the throttle and allow the engine revs to fall.

This technique is most important for smooth downshifting, to avoid engine
braking, but
many big rig drivers use the technique also, to avoid wearing out their left
leg before
they reach retirement!

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA